According to Wikipedia : A blackhead (medically known as an open comedo, plural comedones) is a yellow or blackish bump or plug on the skin. A blackhead is a type of acne vulgaris. Contrary to the common belief that it is caused by poor hygiene, blackheads are caused by excess oils that have accumulated in the sebaceous gland's duct. The substance found in these bumps mostly consists of keratin and modified sebum (an oily secretion of the sebaceous gland), which darkens as it oxidizes.
As I’m lazy, I don’t do the tweezing thing. Neither do I use those metal sticks with the metal loop. (1) coz its painful (2) and its tedious. I have tried a number of things to get rid of the blackheads – masks, pore strips, etc. I have even bought expensive (more than RM100) serums and creams to get rid of the blackheads. The serum works to reduce em (more on this on another post) but nothing can beat the squeaky clean feeling after getting the blackheads all off. And I don’t' quite fancy those peel off masks as they take a while to dry and a bit tedious and messy.
So I stick to pore strips. My current favourite brand of pore pack/strips/tape is Watsons Deep Cleansing Nose Pore Tape. It’s a made in Korea product and the best part is, each box of 10 strips are only RM9.90 and sometimes even cheaper during sales! Look out for a pink and purple box, as below:
I’ve tried out a number of nose pore pack/tape brands like Biore but some of them don’t stick hard enough or don’t seem to give satisfying results. However, I always buy this Watsons one because I think it works rather well. The formula on the “sticky” side seems to work best for me, effectively pulling out all the blackheads/whiteheads.
Here are the steps I take to ensure a blackhead free nose
- Wash your face
- Steam your face by using any of the following :
- Electric face steamer – I don’t have one of these things :(
- Take a big bowl, put in hot (not boiling!) water. Take a towel and bend your head over the bowl while covering your head with the towel. This traps the hot steam inside and steam your face
- Take a hot shower – This is the
malaseasiest method but less effective
- Making sure your nose is wet and your hands are DRY, press the post pack on your nose, making sure to bend the corners over the tip of your nose and also making sure it fits tightly on the side of your nose.
- Leave on for 10-15 mins until it feels hard and tight. Being in an aircon room helps speed up this process.
- Hold both ends of the pore pack and rip it off – much like you would do a bandage. Yes, this will hurt a little (or a lot, depending on your pain tolerance)
- Inspect your pore tape and feel great accomplishment at the amount of blackheads you pulled out. Please refer disgusting pic below:
Haha! Sorry about that, perhaps I should have wrote a warning. Anyway, as you can see it very effectively removes the blackheads. And you can use it for your chin as well (if you’re having white/blackhead problems there as well). If you see that the strip looks shiny after use and no blackheads come out, it could be because your nose was not wet enough and did not dissolve the sticky formula to adhere to your skin.
Note : I wouldn’t recommend using this too often though. The tightness of the glue can’t be exactly good for your skin so I’ll keep the usage to 1-2 times a week, or less if possible. Also for those with sensitive skin, do cut off a small piece and do an allergy test.
Ingredients as below :
Hope this was helpful in your Blackhead Busting mission. Do leave a comment if you’ve tried it and tell me what you think!